With an ever-increasing IT (Information Technology) industry, companies need skilled individuals in computer applications. Therefore, education institutions offer MCA (Masters in Computer Applications) in various specialisations to create a pool of talented IT professionals.
MCA is an applied course, and Software Development is one of the specialised fields under the MCA course. It helps you gain in-depth knowledge about software engineering and its application.
Find out more about the MCA degree, syllabus, career prospects, MCA colleges and much more.
What is MCA in Software Development?
MCA in Software Development is a two-year postgraduate course for BCA (Bachelor of Computer Applications) graduates and three years for graduates from other streams. Many colleges in India offer the MCA degree in six semesters providing theoretical and practical knowledge to students. While students study the conceptual framework in the first and second years, they focus on projects and specialisations in the third year.
MCA in Software Development: Eligibility Criteria
Candidates who wish to pursue MCA in Software Development must have completed their BCA or another equivalent degree with a minimum of 50% marks from a recognised institute/university.
MCA in Software Development: Admissions
Admissions to MCA in Software Development courses are based on your score in the entrance exam or academic score in the bachelor’s degree. The standard entrance exams for MCA include MAH MCA CET (Maharashtra MCA Common Entrance Test), IPU CET (Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test), TANCET (Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test), NIMCET (National Institute of Technology MCA Common Entrance Test), VIT MEE (Vellore Institute of Technology Masters Entrance Examination), BIT MCA (Birla Institute of Technology MCA), etc.
Benefits of MCA in Software Development
With the growth in the IT industry, job opportunities in the sector have also skyrocketed. Further, studying MCA in Software Development is a good career option for the following reasons:
- MCA in Software Development helps you gain in-depth knowledge of computer applications, web designing and development languages.
- Pursuing MCA provides a plethora of job opportunities in renowned organisations. The MCA jobs are estimated to grow further, creating a high demand for a talented pool of MCA professionals.
- While the minimum salary for software developer MCA freshers jobs is ₹2-3 lakhs per annum (approx), you can earn an average salary ranging between ₹6-10 lakhs per annum according to your experience and post.
- MCA graduates are in high demand and are recruited by some top companies such as Amazon, Microsoft, Google, Flipkart and many more. The minimum MCA software developer salary these companies pay can be ₹15 lakhs per annum.
Skills Required for MCA
To make a successful career in the computer applications field, candidates pursuing MCA in a Software Development program must have a specific skill set. Hence, below listed are some key skills required in MCA students:
- Quick learning abilities
- Profound knowledge of the IT industry
- Good communication skills
- Cognitive skills
- Technical skills
- Proficiency in programming languages such as Java, net, C++ and others
- Risk-taking ability
- Data structures and database knowledge
- Awareness of the latest technology developments
- Behavioural skills
What is the Syllabus for MCA in Software Development?
The MCA in Software Development course duration is three years and is divided into six semesters. While all five semesters in every specialisation have a similar syllabus, the last semester’s syllabus is specific to your specialisation. The software skills development in the MCA syllabus includes designing software apps, user experience, user interfaces and other software elements.
With classroom lectures, practical and project works, the MCA in Software Development syllabus is as follows:
MCA in Software Development Syllabus- First Year
- Information Technology
- Computer Architecture
- Software Engineering
- Programming and Data Structure
- Discrete Mathematics
- Database Management Systems
- Organisational Behaviour
- Algorithms Analysis and Design
MCA in Software Development Syllabus- Second Year
- Website Design
- Object-oriented Programming
- Front-end Design tools
- Computer Networks
- Object-oriented Software Engineering
- Java Programming
- Operating Systems
MCA in Software Development Syllabus- Third Year
- Advanced Computer Networks
- Software Verification, Validation and Testing
- Digital Image Processing
- Multimedia Applications
- Linux and X-Windows Programming
- Advanced Computer Architecture
Which is the Best College for MCA in Software Development?
You can get into an MCA course by clearing an entrance exam or direct admissions. Both government and private colleges in India offer MCA in Software Development. To pursue an MCA in Software Development, you must know about the best colleges offering the course. Here’s the list of some of the top MCA colleges in India and their average fees.
|Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi
|Jamia Millia Islamia, Delhi
|Vellore Institute of Technology, Indore
|Anna University, Chennai
|University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad
|Bharathiar University, Coimbatore
|National Institute of Technology, Trichy
|Calcutta University, Kolkata
|Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune
|Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal
Top Recruiters for MCA in Software Development
Before you pursue MCA, it is crucial to research software developer jobs in MCA and the best recruitment companies for MCA graduates.
Hence, the following is the list of some of the top recruiters for MCA in Software Development students:
- HCL Technologies
- Texas Instruments
MCA in Software Development has tremendous scope in India. Young students will be able to work in multinational companies and gain experience. If you get your MCA degree from a college that offers Sunstone’s benefits, you will be ahead of your competitors.
Sunstone has campuses in more than 50 colleges providing access to 100+ hours of job-focused training Students will get the opportunity to upskill and learn new things that are sought after by major recruiters. Not to mention, nearly 1000 recruiters recruit from Sunstone’s pool of talents.